Saturday, April 24, 2010

See ya later Singapore

The time has finally arrived where I must say goodbye to my little corner of Southeast Asia. As you read this, I am groggily sitting on a plane back to Kansas where my very giddy parents are awaiting my arrival.

I've greatly enjoyed my time in Singapore. It has been one of the best learning experiences of my life. I was able to try new foods (although that part wasn't always positive, ahem, durian), meet awesome people, learn a way of life that was very different to my own, see some beautiful places, and enjoy constant warm weather for 24 months.

When I originally set out on our adventure to Singapore, I was supposed to be there for three years. After about one, we decided that we had other interests back in the States that we wanted to pursue. So that's why we're headed back earlier than I originally told you all.

I apologize for originally leading you astray.

I feel that I got a very fulfilling experience in my shortened two year adventure. Another year of constant summer may have permanently ruined me for winter forever.

So as I leave, I want to send a big thank you to all of you who came and read my ramblings over the last couple years. You have taught me so much and given me a wonderful community that really helped me live this life in Singapore. I loved reading the emails, comments and all of the feedback you left. It was so much fun.

You guys are awesome. Thank you.


In closing, I've gotten a lot of questions as to whether or not I'm going to continue blogging. I will finally answer you all.

Duh.

I will definitely be continuing the adventures of this roller coaster life we lead on my new blog:

Walking in Ruby Slippers

There I will share our stories as we relearn how to live in Kansas...and America in general.

I hope you visit us there. The Kansans are going to think I'm weird when I start jumping up and down in the dairy aisle over a huge tub of ricotta cheese for US$2. But you Singapore, you will completely understand.

In the words of my wise friend Sheryl,

See ya later, never goodbye.

8 comments:

LMC said...

I've enjoyed keeping up with your adventures in Singapore since I moved here a little over 6 months ago. Hope you arrive home safely, without issue and have a great time re-inserting yourselves into the American way. :)

mae said...

i've enjoyed reading your posts tremendously. all the best back in Kansas. will definitely be following you on the other blog as well.

Brad Farless said...

I've very much enjoyed reading your blog. It was nice to know someone else was having some of the same reactions I was, and it's always nice to just discuss things with someone from 'home'.

I hope your flight is safe and uneventful. I imagine by now you're over the Pacific, getting close to Alaska. Well, either that or on a layover in Germany. Who knows? ^_^

I'll be sure to keep up with you on your other blog as well.

Anonymous said...

Take care and all the best for your return to life back home, Megan. It's been a pleasure reading your blog over the past half-year.

Anonymous said...

Believe you've reached home sound and safe. Will surely follow your interesting postings at your new blog...so I can get to know your hometown better, which is 2 states away from where I am. - Jen

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your frankness about Singapore... I'm a Singaporean living in Kansas for six years now... yes... I really am. I feel exactly the same like yourself here in Kansas... I love every month though...

Nore said...

Hello Megan,

I really enjoyed reading your blogs. I am actually planning to move to Singapore in a few months. My husband is in the Army, we are currently living in the Netherlands. I love it here, but he is ending his tour with the Military and hope to move to Singapore for his second career. However, I am nervous because we will not have the stability of the Military there. I need a job and my son will start Kindergarten next year. I hear school is very expensive there. If you can give me any advice on how to apply for work and find free/inexpensive schooling for my son, I would greatly appreciate it. I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,
Nore

Megan said...

Hey Nore! I'd love to help you out. Send me an email at singaporejhawk@gmail.com and I send you some helpful info and resources.