Wednesday, September 10, 2008

At Last! A One Stop Shop!


My new friend Danielle introduced me to my new favorite place in Singapore. It's the "Super Walmart" of Fair Prices (a popular Singapore grocery store).

Back home, I didn't realize the awesomeness of a huge store that had everything from apples to face wash to home appliances. Once I moved to Singapore, I quickly began to miss the ability to go to one place to get all of the things I need. Yes, I did in fact miss Walmart (I know my mom is doing a silent victory dance as she reads this.) It's one of those things like "you don't know what you got till it's gone". Don't get me wrong, I'd still prefer a Target, but I'll take what I can get in Asia.

So back to Fair Price Xtra....Seriously kids, it's great. My favorite part? They bake fresh baguettes and flavored bread loaves daily for cheap. I bought a baguette for a buck and a loaf of Soya bread for two bucks. It's cheaper than the enriched sandwich bread that could be a month old. I'm in carb heaven. That's a big deal in a place where most carbs are of the rice and noodle variety.

You know what else is great? This Asian shampoo that my friend suggested I try. It's called Asience and it makes your hair feel like silk. At least mine does until I plaster my five anti-frizz products in it. The shampoo and conditioner are only like four bucks at Fair Price Xtra. Sweet.

So I ride the 169 bus all the way down to Ang Mo Kio (it means literally "White Man's Bridge" in Chinese) where this wonderful place is. Then, I can ride the bus all the way back to Sembawang (I don't know what Sembawang means, sorry). It's about a 45 minute ride both ways during rush hour. I'm learning that public transportation = make a day of your one errand because it will take just that...a whole frickin' day.

On a side note, Guinness is doing well after his procedure. He doesn't seem to miss "them" yet. He is however, taking it easy and trying to fight the urge to slobber on his wound.

3 comments:

Cori said...

I wish I could come hang out in Singapore with you and go shopping. It sounds like such an adventure.

Glad you have a new pal to hang out with, too.

Love Ya!

B-Mom said...

Oh, it must be nice to find this if you are admitting that you miss Walmart! Of all things to compare it to... are you sure??

Megan said...

Oh yeah, it screams Walmart. The housewares are strong enough to function, but not to last more than a couple years. That's exactly how all of my college pots and pans held up. The produce is also the kind you have to really dig through...just like Wally world.

I can't even think about Target right now. I'll get really depressed.