Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Why I Can't Understand the Singaporeans

Native Singaporeans speak a very different version of the English language. Their version is immediately derived from the British English and then they add in words from their own culture. What happens is people speak very fast and use words that make Megan panic and look at Aaron for translation. It's also called Singlish. To illustrate why this is so difficult, I've compromised a little mini dictionary of Singlish for you folks back home.

Can = yes

Ang Moh = this word actually means "Red hair", but it's grown to be a derogatory term for
"someone of caucasian descent"

Argly = ugly

Lah/Leh = this is added onto many sentences that they say. "Ok, lah." "I cannot speak English, lah." Aaron likes to say this all the time and it annoys the crap out of me.

SPG = Singapore Party Girl. This is a term that describes the Asian women on the prowl to
hook them a caucasian man by dressing like a cheap hooker and being annoyingly flirty....and slutty. I'm not being mean here. I'll take pictures of the crap they wear when they're out. (Most may be prostitutes as well.)

having here/take-away = (used in restaurants) dining in or taking food to go. They ask us this often when we go somewhere to eat. "Having here or take-away?"

kopi = coffee

jilo = zero


So that's just a few. There are so many that I can't even pick out of the mess that comes out of their mouths. I'm getting better, but I still don't feel comfortable venturing out alone. If I got lost and hailed a cab driver like the one we had last week, I'd end up on the other side of the island. Yep, that's so not happening. Innocent people might be harmed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My bday drama is under cori's coments. I need your opinion if I over reacted!

singaporegirl said...

SPG = SARONG party girl...not Singapore party girl...