Monday, August 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Adam

Today my big brother turns 30. When I asked him what he wanted from his Singaporean sister for his birthday, his request was one I should expect from a big brother. He said he wanted me to eat a durian. Isn't that mean? Doesn't he want some new chopsticks? Or a fancy Singapore t-shirt? Nope? Fine.



I put it off as long as I could but, I finally did it. Here's the proof:



It was awful. Andrew Zimmer on the Travel Channel once described the taste as "rotting onions". He was so right. That's exactly what it tasted like. The texture was like a really old and slimy avocado. When I picked it up, it felt like wet bread dough.


After choking it down, we went and ate dinner to get the taste out of my mouth. It didn't so much work. My breath reeked like durian stew all night. I kept burping too, which gave me dry heaves. It filled my nose and mouth with the putrid gas of the stupid fruit.


Needless to say, I went to bed with a stomach ache. That's love. Happy Birthday big brother :)

2 comments:

Cori said...

Well, that settles it. You love Adam waaaaaaaaaaay more than I do. Hmmm, wonder what I should ask for on my bday? :)

B-Mom said...

You are one sweet, brave girl! Way to take one for the fam!