Monday, March 31, 2008

Final(ly) Four


It finally happened. I got to see Lawrence go crazy when our beloved basketball team made it to the Final Four. I've been waiting for this since it happened in 2003. Then, my highschool self wasn't allowed to go get crazy with college kids that might influence me to do bad things. Dad could still shelter me back then...somewhat. Er...I mean...very well.

I watched the game with my brother Adam. He's the one in the pic. Watching the game with him and his friends is really fun. They crack me up the entire time, which was needed in order to stay sane in this nail-biter.

When it was finally over, I fought the urge to cry, and at the same time couldn't stop smiling. Ever since I went to KU, I have had this overwhelming sense of pride to be a part of such an awesome tradition. At my first game, I was so excited that I almost cried too. As the students locked arms for the Alma Mater, I didn't know the words yet, but I still felt like I belonged. KU has been such a huge part of me in the last few years and I'm so glad that my parents raised me as a jayhawk. It was so hard to leave it all when I graduated. I actually did cry at graduation. Not tears of happiness, tears of sadness. It felt like I was losing a friend that had been there to share all of my successes and to see me grow into an adult (or a version of one).

Sunday night, as I stood on Mass Street and watched my fellow hawks go nuts and scream "Final Four baby!", I felt some sense of contentment. I've done and seen all that I ever wanted to do and see in Lawrence. But...I ended up going home by 9:30 and I only had 2 beers. Yeah yeah, I'm a grandma. Don't judge.

I know that some of the best times of my life were while I lived in Lawrence. I also know that it only prepared me for even better years to come, but I will always cherish the time that I had at the best university in the world. I met my very best friends there and met my future husband along the way as well. I'd say I made out pretty well. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

No comments: