Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Deepavali at Simon's

As promised, here are the pictures from our Deepavali celebration at Simon's house.

These are Simon's friends in their traditional dress. The material is really pretty when you see these clothes in person. Everyone looked awesome. (Except the skanky Americans that showed up, ha ha.)
Simon's family served us a huge feast. We had Indian rice, mutton, curry chicken (my fave), fried bbq chicken, Indian nachos, pineapple and cucumber salad, steamed veggies, and lots of other dishes that I wasn't sure what they were. Everything was delicious though. I love love love Indian food. We had a great time eating and talking.
We learned that Simon's son is making his first trip to the U.S. and is going to be working for Carnival Cruises. Isn't that exciting?! I'd love to get to work on a cruise ship. He's so excited. There was a time that Melissa and I contemplated leaving KU for dreams of working in a resort in Honduras. I still think being a diving instructor would have been the best job ever (even if we both don't know exactly how to dive and Mel is claustrophobic).
Anyways, Deepavali was very fun. The next big Indian holiday is Thaipusam. That's the one where they pierce their bodies with long rods and march in parades with stuff attached to their piercings. I need to read up on it more beforehand. I did hear that it's recommended that people with weak stomachs not go. I may not be in attendance. I gotta psych myself up first.

1 comment:

Cori said...

Skanky Americans....you're cracking me up. I love your very ethnic experiences you're getting. I know you'd trade it for some decent Taco Bell, but don't. This is a once in a lifetime gig you've got, Sis. Love ya!