Friday, May 22, 2009

A day of Singaporean, lah

This is a video made by a Singaporean to show the typical day of a working class Singaporean. I originally wanted to post it because he is speaking Singlish. It took me months to understand Singlish and I thought this would be a good way to show you why. Try to understand the speaker without reading the subtitles.




There are some other interesting things in the video that are unique to Singapore.

The whole tissue thing on the tables, for instance. That was hard to learn. When they put their pack of tissues down, that means they've claimed the table. I've gotten yelled at by angry Aunties (Singlish for "old Singaporean women") for sitting at a table they "chopped with napkin". Those were fun days. Imagine an angry Asian woman yelling what I thought was jibberish at me until I moved from my seat. I had no idea what she was saying so I moved mostly to get away from her.

There's other things that are noted in the video too. I'm just getting so used to it now that I barely notice how different it is anymore.

What'd you notice? Humor me. I'm curious.

No comments: