Monday, May 25, 2009

Learning to cook, one burnt thing at a time

I'm trying to learn how to be a good cook. I've always envied the people that could take a few ingredients and throw them together at random to make something delicious. I was not born with this ability. I'm more of a recipe reader and an ingredient measurer. Not a splasher and dasher. I decided I need to change that.

So I read a lot of cookbooks, cooking magazines and cooking blogs. I own almost every one of Rachael Ray's cookbooks, get her magazine (Thanks Sis!), and have the Food Network.com bookmarked. I also watch what cooking shows they allowed to be played over here in the jungle.

But, you wanna know the best place I've found for recipes and cooking advice?

Pioneer Woman's website

This woman has really taught me a lot about cooking and I've never even met her. She is raising four young children and living on a real-life working ranch complete with cows and cowboys. She might just be my best fake friend. I just love her. She's so down-to-earth and funny. Plus, she's an amazing cook of the dasher and splasher variety. She uses real ingredients that you usually have on hand and makes delicious things. It's Midwest comfort food at its finest.

She's also a very good writer. Her recipe posts are never boring. AND she takes pictures of every step of her recipe so you know AS SOON as you've messed it up. Most of the recipes are also either her own creations or creations of friends.

I've made about five or six of her dishes and have loved every one of them. My all-time favorite would have to be her BBQ meatballs. Or her pot roast. Or maybe her baked mac and cheese. Actually forget it, EVERYTHING is delicious. If you're in a rut or need some inspiration, just check out her site. The options abound.

In the spirit of cooking, I have to tell you all about my first ever "created by Megan" recipe. It's the first thing that I made from scratch by just throwing some things together and saying a little prayer. It's Cream Cheesey Chicken Enchiladas. I'm pretty excited about it being both delicious and edible. Aaron and I love it so much that I make it about every two weeks. Plus it freezes well to reheat later when you don't feel like cooking.

To see the recipe, just click on the link to the right called "A Bun in the Oven". That's my sister and my cooking blog that we have slowly been adding things to. My sis is one of the best cooks I know and she's got oodles of delish recipes stashed away. She's also one of those people that can just throw things together and have it be delicious. She's a brat. :)

If you have any good recipes to share, please send them my way. I'm loving this cooking thing and I'm always up to try something new. Please just keep in mind that I live in Asia and I won't be able to find some things if you get too fancy, or American, on me.

1 comment:

Cori said...

You're so sweet. :) I do have a few cool recipes to add that you'll like. I'll try to do that this week.

What a cool website. I went to it, and I love it!