Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Box Cake

The following conversation took place today at work and I have to ask all of you not to tell my grandmother what it was about. Oh, and Martha Stewart. I'm fairly sure both would be very very disappointed in me.

Singaporean lady: Did you know that American lady used to work here only eat box cake? She no try any other cake. Only box cake.

Me: What's box cake?

Singaporean lady: You know lah! The cake that come in box and you just mix it and bake it lah. She never try anything but box cake.

Me: Wait, you mean cake mix. I've never made a cake from scratch. I don't think I've ever even eaten a cake that wasn't made from a box mix.

(Singaporean lady is now joined by two more Singaporean ladies and their faces are covered in a look of shock and disappointment.)

All of them at once: WHAT?! You never try any cake but box cake?!

Me: Well, my mom never made any from scratch and I've never made any from scratch. It's just easier to get a box and make it. To me, that seems like enough work.

Singaporean lady: Oh my gosh! Now I have to make you a cake. Oh my gosh. I never use box cake. It is not as good.


I hung my head in shame and walked back to my little cubicle. I've never felt so betrayed by Duncan Hines, Sara Lee and Betty Crocker.

5 comments:

Hil said...

whatever. i love box cake. and the cakes from scratch that my friends have made and have sworn are better than cake mixes have always been dry and crumbly. maybe they're just not very good cake makers (hahaha), but i stand by my tasty box cakes and say thanks to betty, sara and duncan for making dessert easy. :P

Cori said...

I meant to say "maybe", not "making". Gosh, grammar check, please.

Ecrite said...

god, you crack me up! Thank you :)

Ellen said...

LOL, I can relate to both sides...this is so funny!

Ellen

TURIKE said...

Gosh, this is sooo funny! hey, believe me, I'm from jakarta but since I was 12 my mom only made for us 'box cake', no more 'from the scratch cake'. Betty crocker rocks!