Saturday, June 27, 2009

Typical Saturday Conversations

Aaron: Oh! Awesome song. Brick (by Ben Folds Five) is the best song ever.

Megan: Uh, it's the most depressing song ever.

Aaron: What?! What makes you say that?

Megan: Do you even know what it's about?

Aaron: Uh, I don't know. Suicide or something.

Megan: Wrong. It's about a couple that accidentally gets pregnant and decides to get an abortion and the guy's girlfriend goes into a deep dark depression.

Aaron: Who told you that?!

Megan: Are you serious? Have you ever even listened to the lyrics?

Aaron: No. (He then proceeds to listen and sing along to the lyrics.) I don't think that's what it's about. I mean it's pretty vague. Unless the artist came out and said that that's what it's about you wouldn't really know. It's not like it comes out and says it.


At this point, I'm just going to throw my head into a wall.

I love my dear sweet husband that doesn't listen. :)

Here's a video of the song in case you live in a bubble and have never heard it.


Ben Folds Five - Brick (Official Music Video) - The best bloopers are here

5 comments:

Travis said...

What is it with girls being so mad at guys for not listening to lyrics? Jaime gets mad at me for the same thing all the time. I don't really need to spend my time trying to interpret a deep meaning behind the lyrics. If it's a catchy tune I don't really care what they say.

Hil said...

I love BFF, but when I listen to them I still always skip "Brick". A song about an abortion is just too depressing--although on www.songmeanings.net (yes i like this site) someone joked that it was about a guy taking his dog to the vet. (heeheehee)
As for paying attention to the lyrics, that's like half the song! If I don't have a basic idea what it's about, I feel like I'm missing out. Sigh...guess I'm just a typical girl.

Hil said...

oh btw, according to the above site, ben folds DID come out and say that the song was about an abortion.

Anonymous said...

It's not a fictional story, it's a song Ben wrote about his own experience. It's his girlfriend from high school who had the abortion, his kid.

Although it was Darren who wrote the chorus. Ben can't write a good chorus.

My Three Sons said...

That is a very sad song. I have to admit that I have heard this song hundred of times and never really listened to the words.